Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Re: a fast paseo?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
agnesx
Newcomer

February 2003

icon5.gif  Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 02:58 Go to next message
Hi all,

i recently brought a 91' paseo and love it, however it runs on the original engine (a little bit underpowered Razz) and has done over 215,000kms!! so this engine is pretty much going to die out on me soon, and i am looking at replacments - got some questions as i am still learning about all these things....

1. what would be the 'best' engine - 4AGE (16v or 20v?) or the 4AGZE? - i got these two qouted for 1000 and 1600AUD, does this sound right?

2. my paseo has only been modded slightly, stock engine, got a nice exhaust system fitted, modded suspension, 15" rims (with 195/50/R15), and cosmetic improvments... what other modifications will i need in order to fit the new engine in nicely (and more importantly, safely)

3. about what costs am i looking at for everything - and recommendations on importers or dealers? (i am based in melb, australia)

4. any other general comments about this swap, recommend or not?

any response be really appreciated

Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it has been serviced regularly and treated well then it will not "die on you" just because its done over 200,000kms
agnesx
Newcomer

February 2003

Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, thanks for the reply

but sadly, i was tricked when i brought the car.. well sort of
the sellor told me all is fine and stuff... and he had the service log book somewhere and will deliver to me asap

but guess what.. he never showed and when i called him for it.. he claims to have lost it..

i already spent 2500 extra on repairs, but it runs ok now..
i can pull 13.7ish km/litre on normal unlead
but yeah, so i would have no idea as to the history of the engine

vacc report says no sign of major accident and the engine no. still matched so haven't been replaced - and i haven't any idea as to how much stress the engine been through nor how well it had been looked after...

better safe than sorry, so that's why i am checking out other alternatives... buying another is too costly after i spent so much on this one already...

after some asking around, ppl say engine swap best option for me, so yeah juss see what you guys thought
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What engine is standard in the Paseo?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the E series engine is in them 5E maybe??

considered a 4E-FTE from a starlet turbo?

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2003 04:30]

agnesx
Newcomer

February 2003

Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stock is a 5E-FE, 1.5 twin cam EFI, max power is quoted 94hp @ 6500rpm – pretty amazingly sad isn’t it?
As for the 4E-FTE from a starlet turbo, I did have suggestions about this one in other forums… it is definitely smaller (how does it compare to the 4AG’s?) but doesn’t mean it will be any easier to fit in… or would it?

The swap of the 4AG’s into TERCEL are quite common, and they are very similar to the Paseo – I can find the engines readily available, but so far don’t know who will do engine swaps, any recommendations based here in aust? (melb preferbally)
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The starlet motor is from the same series (E) so will bolt straight onto your current gearbox. I am sure there is a site on the web detailing this swap but I can't find it at the moment. Even though it will bolt to the Paseo gearbox, I would recommend the starlet box if you can fit it, may also need to alter the engine mounts. 4E-FTE runs 100kw (133hp) standard and responds well to mods, have seen dyno sheets of up to 160hp at the wheels and have heard claims of more (club record is 255hp??). For outright power, go 4AGZE and throw away the supercharger for a turbo, but will be a lot more work. For a relatively straight forward swap but less power go with the 4E-FTE. Try to get a front cut, so you have everything you need and may be able to adapt starlet brakes.

Callum

PS - make sure you can insure BEFORE you spend any money
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My bet would be the 4E-FTE from the Starlet GT.

As for the current engine, dont complain, my car would weigh around 1200kg and it only had 90hp from the factory! Razz Still going strong after over 260,000km though Very Happy
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGE into a TERCEL is easy because they come with a 3A is it? Anyway they come with an A series to start with!

I third the 4E-FTE motion! lol

Cheers
Wilbo
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey if you're only 21, how do u get insurance for a turbo car? just ctp?

hey how do any turbo owners here get insurance other than CTP? I don't know any turbo car owners with proper insurance!

hey agnesx, you said "vacc report says no sign of major accident and the engine no. still matched"..how did you check this out? i have to check on an engine number, or my mummy won't let me put a new block in Razz
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i have to check on an engine number, or my mummy won't let me put a new block in

hahaha if your referring to the 7A ya got off me, then I dont think you have any worries, it came from UP4SUM. He is enlisted on the forums, look in the syd section somewhere I thinks. Smiley =
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe yeah that one! my mum has the shits and is trying her best not to let me go through w/ the conversion Razz
so the 4a was off johnny, but not the 7a? thanks man
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No the 7a wasn't it was from Matt? out in the middle of woop woop! Smile He did a GZE and it was in a green AE102.

http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/index.php?t=msg &th=70&start=0&rid=258&S=726885692 3fdb2d8967ccfecfb5aa2b6
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 14 February 2003 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he should've gone 7agze! that would've hammered Smile
agnesx
Newcomer

February 2003

Re: a fast paseo? Sat, 15 February 2003 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4E-FTE sounds pretty good, 100kw....
what is the 4AGE run for??

i think i wont consider the 4AGZE cos like you said.. insurance will just be a big bitch

i knew i needed to make some other changes and not just a direct swap over, and all the info you guys mentioned really helps, thanks

personally i do like the 4AGE, but all your comments make sense, and if the 4E-FTE is going to be easier and better fit.. well, i will go with that

but aint a money waster.. so will only change when current one start to show signs of dying before swapping - it runs ok now.. pulled 14km/litre just last fill... only moves like a turtle

as for VACC checks.. thats only avail in victoria (hence the v)
but depend on where you live you can get independent mechanics to check that for you, just tell them what you need

thanks guys~
(very touched.... first post and already so much support Very Happy )
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: a fast paseo? Sat, 15 February 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did a little more research, check out these guys. They are putting a 4A-GTE into an EP71 starlet using the standard gearbox (C52 I think) which means there is definitely an A series engine to E series box bellhousing available. If you like the 4A-GE, go with that as it will be much easier to insure a N/A 1600 than a 1300 turbo. More power potential with the turbo, but the 4A-GE gives you the option to upgrade later on to the 4A-GZE (or GTE) once you find a willing insurer. Maybe start with a 100kw 4A-GE, as 20 valve may be just as hard to insure as a turbo.

Callum
agnesx
Newcomer

February 2003

Re: a fast paseo? Sat, 15 February 2003 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey thanks callum

I checked out the page you had, some nice cars there heh
still bit unclear about their bellhousing, if might fit on the EP71, but will it fit on paseo?
i will try and contact those guys also (pity so far away in nz hehehe )

i think i will start with the 16valve 4AGE, and learn how to tweak it to increase power - many ppl have done some really crazy things with the 4AGE (check out club4AG's web page~)

oh btw, what are the differences between the diff 4AGE's
the red, blue, silver tops?
and a 4AGTE? Shocked damn.. going to have look that one up.. sounds mean.. hehehe

laters
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: a fast paseo? Sat, 15 February 2003 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some stuff on the 4AGE differances

Bill's site has heaps of good stuff on the 4A's.

4AGTE is usually a 4AGZE with the supercharger dropped off and a turbo added in its place, there was never a production Turbo 4AGE, i.e you cant get a 4AGTE front cut!

Cheers
Wilbo
Ep71-4agte
Newcomer

June 2002
Re: a fast paseo? Thu, 06 March 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agnesx wrote on Sat, 15 February 2003 23:23

Hey thanks callum

I checked out the page you had, some nice cars there heh
still bit unclear about their bellhousing, if might fit on the EP71, but will it fit on paseo?
i will try and contact those guys also (pity so far away in nz hehehe )

i think i will start with the 16valve 4AGE, and learn how to tweak it to increase power - many ppl have done some really crazy things with the 4AGE (check out club4AG's web page~)

laters

Well the bellhousing for my car is a bit of a special one. Yes you can bolt a 4age to a c52 box "but", only 3 bolts line up and you'll have to space the gearbox away from the engine to allow the pressure plate to spin freely without hitting the inside of the bellhousing. You'll need to make up a adaptive ring that spaces the two apart and also allows for more fixing points. I'll elaborate more once my car is actually going (very soon) but don't want to give the game away at this stage. Half the fun is figuring it all out in the first place.

As for engine, the original intention was to use a blue top (large port 88kw) engine and run low boost on it, but a 4agze engine came up so will be using that and around 16psi I guess. Being a fwd traction is going to be a huge issue.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 March 2003 07:29]

riceboy
Regular

December 2002
Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 07 March 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agnesx don't waste money trying to fit a 4AGE to the Paseo. The 4E-FTE is a much easier and cheaper fit. Buy a front cut and swap it all over. Fit the rear discs from a Starlet GT as well if you want. If you are going to keep the engine stock then just buy the engine and bolt it up to the Paseo gearbox as the lower ratios well be better. If you want to work the engine and feel a 1.3 ltr turbo isn't enough then consider Ben Ellis' Starlet was doing mid 13s on standard internals with the high flowed factory turbo. In the end i believe he ended up breaking 12s. If you are more serious then rebuild the 5E-FE and fit all the turbo gear from the 4E-FTE. Your Paseo did 74kw (about 100hp) standard. Don't bother trying to increase the N/A power output as the "E" in the engine code denotes a narrow head design (great for fuel economy but not for high rpm). Forced induction is the way to go.
As for Leebroozlee's insuance question. Yes many people under 25 can insure turbos. It comes down to what you buy, where you live and how much you want to pay. You have to be a complete dickhead to just drive around on CTP. Third Party Liability insurance (also known as 'bomb insurance') is cheap and saves your ass when you hit a BMW. If you are under 25 and buy an import then only Just Car insurance is likely to cover you. My insurance company will gladly insure under 25s in 200SXs for a good price.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 07 March 2003 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Define good price Razz and is it using your parents 60% no claim bonus? Also who are you with? I got a mate with a bog standard 90' Paseo(he paid 8k for it) and has got it insured for about 9K and its costing him $2300/year and thats with 60% no claim bonus, I reckon he's getting ripped off bigtime!!!!
riceboy
Regular

December 2002
Re: a fast paseo? Fri, 07 March 2003 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist yes your friend is getting ripped off. But then again as i said before it depends on where you live...living in Sydney is about the worst place in Austalia for insurance.
As for good prices for a 200sx...how does $800 for a 24 yr old male rating 1 sound? That is with RACQ. As for 'using' your parents 60% NCB there really is no such thing as once you fail in your Duty of Disclosure to an insurance company legally they don't have to cover you even after you have paid your policy so you are only kidding yourself. however in the real world there are plenty of young people living under this arrangement and there are plenty that get burnt (my friend was one and he was hit with a $7000 excess for his failure, he is lucky he got paid at all).
FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO DON'T KNOW HOW INSURANCE WORKS THEN NOW IS THE TIME TO LEARN!
Let's start with comprehensive insurance. How does an insurance company come up with a quote? There are 5 main factors to the equation. FIRST OF COURSE IS THE VEHICLE: What sort of vehicle is it? (sedan, coupe, 4WD etc). What are typical costs of repairs likely to be (headlights, panels, anything with 4WS is usually expensive). What is the claims history of this vehicle? (ever wondered why a WRX is so expensive, it was australia's most stolen sports car and was often crashed). Then there can be greyer vehicle factors such as how the insurance company considers the risk itself. Vehicles are rated off a point system. SECONDLY COMES THE LOCATION: This comes down to postcodes and is gathered from statisical information provided by a claims history in that postcode. I live in an over populated, high claim area so i pay through the nose, if i move 2 mins north i save about $70 a year. THIRD COMES THE DRIVER: This can be broken down into gender (yes it matters if you are a boy or a girl) and age, in many cases the high risk age limit has actually been lifted to 30yrs for males. This is again determined by statisics. Young male drivers are involved in more accidents than any other group. Don't worry though as once we all get very old males are generally cheaper than females.
Driving history also plays a part in weather or not the insurance company will accept you. Traffic offences are frowned apon more than accidents believe it or not!
FORTH COMES THE NCB: (No Claims Bonus or Rating) This is a percentage discount which indicates to the insurance company how good you are for insurance. In most cases it takes 5 years without a claim to achieve a rating 1 (60%) discount. Most people start on rating 6 (no discount) but people can go down as low as 9 (this is the whole premium plus another 30%).
FIFTH IS VEHICLE USAGE: In most cases a vehicle is for private use. However all you part time pizza boys out there call your insurance company now! You are now using your vehicle for business use (goods carrying, less than 2 tonnes). This means alot higher premium as the risk has just increased. People like couriers, real estate agents, taxi drivers etc pay alot more insurance.
There are other price determining factors such as finance (a secured loan will make your premium more expensive than an unsecured loan or unencumbered vehicle). Plus some companies will charge you more for modifications or hit you with a higher excess.
I hope this helps explain the mysteries of insurance, any questions just ask. I usually get paid to explain this stuff to people but tonight it is free. Smile
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: a fast paseo? Sun, 13 February 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know this is old...Checkout this Paseo, mates car in Sydney Very Happy .
http://www.sydneycruising.com/index.php?option=com _content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=54

[Updated on: Sun, 13 February 2005 06:05]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: a fast paseo? Mon, 14 February 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also if you have a criminal record this will effect your options aswell.
I wanted to insure my friend to drive my car but he has a reord so he can't.

I belive it's theft fraud and i can't remember the third
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: a fast paseo? Mon, 14 February 2005 07:14 Go to previous message
riceboy wrote on Sat, 08 March 2003 00:44

Your Paseo did 74kw (about 100hp) standard. Don't bother trying to increase the N/A power output as the "E" in the engine code denotes a narrow head design (great for fuel economy but not for high rpm). Forced induction is the way to go.

Im sure it was just a typo, but its the 'F' in the engine code that denotes the economy head design. A 'G' refer to the sporty 'wide' head design.

This begs the question, were there any g style heads build for the 'E' series block?? i.e. 5E-GE (probably not hehe) If such an animal exists it could be used if you prefer the N/A path.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:High flowing ?
Next Topic:Koni Sport External Adjustment Problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:15:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072579383850098 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.