Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
raynman
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Strength of Toyota gearboxes Fri, 01 November 2002 12:08 Go to next message
Strength of toyota gearboxes
Hi,

Does anyone know how strong the Toyota W5* series gearboxes are, in terms of how much horsepower they can take and how much abuse (it is going in a rally car so it won't be gentle). The last mazda box died a horrible death on an unfortunate night.

The car is a RX2 rally car with a very large bridgeport (~220 hp) and hilux diff. It will have to take some abuse obviously.

The boxes I am mainly interested in are the W55 celica steel case and the W58 supra. Ideally I would prefer a W57 (provided it is strong enough) as it has a better overdrive than the W58.

Also any information on the strength of a W50 would be appreciated as well (although I get the feeling it may not be strong enough)

While obviously the supra box is the choice (I know they are extraordinarily strong), the W55s are cheaper and more readily available (any particular W55 as we have one from a 2S sitting at home?).

Thanks

Send a private message to this user    
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of Toyota gearboxes Fri, 01 November 2002 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this the cash converters car???????
corolla coupe 18rgu
Regular

September 2002
Re: Strength of Toyota gearboxes Fri, 01 November 2002 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i seen a few celica boxes behind few 450hp v8s and many holden sixes to, all with no problems

[Updated on: Fri, 01 November 2002 12:43]

raynman
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Strength of Toyota gearboxes Fri, 01 November 2002 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mx83toy wrote on Fri, 01 November 2002 23:36

is this the cash converters car???????

No, I'm actually from Victoria (my profile and account got deleted a little while ago)

The car is currently plain red with no sponsorship. Can be seen at essentially every VCRS clubman round in Victoria.

Any ideas on the W50, W55 and W57. From a gear ratio point of view the W57 is the best.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of Toyota gearboxes Sat, 02 November 2002 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
W57 is lighter and stronger than the W50. The W55 is much the same as the W57 apart from ratios. Sounds like W57 is the way to go!
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of Toyota gearboxes Sat, 02 November 2002 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.twelve100.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/RW Dgearboxes.htm

look here
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strength of Toyota gearboxes Sun, 03 November 2002 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or here-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBy Subject/Gearboxes.html
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Strength of Toyota gearboxes Sun, 03 November 2002 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know of a r154 box behind a 1j making a real 650hp{not the bullshit type power} and it lasted a full season racing in a sport sedan flat shifting and only just started to have notchy syncro's{no big deal} at the end of the season so this means they W series and R series are strong. but if you have a spare 18k go for a hollinger as they are fucking amazing. feel sensational shifting and are unbrakeable. in 3 seasons ive had to change one dog gear for the grand total of $700 for the dog gear fitted and the whole box gone over. there service is second to none.
mick
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Strength of Toyota gearboxes Sun, 03 November 2002 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bloke at my work and his son have a Factory turbo GE Sigma.
Kicked the rod out of the std. 2lt. turbo Rolling Eyes , so they built a mad 2.6 Astron with a turbo.
With extensive head-work, no balancer {all fully balanced} and a big T3/T4.
has run 13.5 at 124mph Very Happy and has killed a ford 9 inch but the Celica box is still going good {killed the original}.
Made 270hp at the wheels
raynman
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Strength of Toyota gearboxes Sun, 03 November 2002 12:12 Go to previous message
Thanks for your help,

We've decided to go with a W57, keeping our W55 as a spare box.

While a W58 is much stronger, from what I've heard the W57 will stand up a lot better than the mazda box with the 200-220hp + abuse that it will have. The shorter overdrive on the W57 is a huge advantage on a rally car.

Don't need to go silly with a r154 or a hollinger though Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New Guy X2.
Next Topic:4afe bits onto a 4age
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:45:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043067932128906 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.